Hello to all who enter this Blog. This is Lee's Space, a place where I plan to share my thoughts and points of view with others and also provide resources that may be of interest to people. I hope something you find in Lee's Space will be useful.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Savior or Sambo?

Okay, when you look at this picture of Terrell Owens on the cover of the new ESPN magazine what do you think? Please, use free association. One of the first words that comes to my mind is Sambo! Why on earth would he take a picture like this and allow them to put it on the cover of their magazine? I think this picture looks incredibly racist and too closely resembles the racially inflamatory charactures Whites used to draw of Blacks in the early 1900's.

Maybe I'm taking this too seriously, but I think this picture is incredibly offensive. Yes TO has a bangin' body and no one can deny that, but he's a mess. He's a had a stormy career for a while now and left a bad taste in my mouth, as well as many Philadelphian's with his antics while he was with the Eagels. Now he's starting them all over again in Dallas. I don't follow TO closely, but it seems that he needs to be more careful of how he presents himself to the public.

I bet there are a bunch of rednecks in Texas having a field day with this picture and I can only imagine what they're saying as they drink beer at their favorite saloon and use this photo as a dart board while watching the Cowboy's play.

While image isn't everything, it definitely means something and TO just keeps damaging his, but of course that is just my opinion. What do you think of this picture?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL free association that made me laugh hard twice, you are right with the Sambo angle and the double added sterotype of his physicality feeding into the Black Mandingo, so yes this cover is loaded with racist historical symbology, but it works to get attention and that is "their" bottom line, rather negative or positive it caught your eye, if you want this time of racist imagery to cease, stop giving it credence and attention, protest it, but don't buy it and talk about TO's "bangin body" you can't have it both ways, if you don't want the coonin' facial feature, you can't want the body as well.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:12:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home