Hello to all who enter this Blog. This is Lee's Space, a place where I plan to share my thoughts and points of view with others and also provide resources that may be of interest to people. I hope something you find in Lee's Space will be useful.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Who's That Boy...........


No it's not a twist on the Eve song (Who's that girl?), nor Madonna's hit back in da 80's, but my brief Bio, so anyone checking my Blog knows a little about me.

I'm a native of Rochester, NY where I lived for over 30 years of my life and recently moved to Philadelphia to explore a different city and make new connections in my life. I grew up in the inner city of Rochester in a lower middle class integrated neighborhood. I'm the oldest of four and my parents are still married and still live in the same house they've had for 27 years. My parents have always been supportive of me and who I am, even when I came out to them over 10 years ago. My brother's and sister are cool too and while we don't talk all the time, we support each other as family does.

While in Rochester, I worked in Chemical dependency treatment for a number of years and obtained my credentiling as an alcoholism and substance abuse counselor. On December 1, 2000 (how fitting a time) I went on to work in a Community Based Organization called the MOCHA Project, where I did HIV prevention work with Black gay men. While I was there, I decided it was time for me to go back to school to pursue my master's degree. In 2004 I obtained my master's degree in social work and decided after I was done, that I was going to move to a new city. I'd never lived anywhere other than Rochester, so it was a big move for me, but one that I have not regretted at all.

For those of you that have been to Philly, you know it's a big city, but in some ways it's small as well, which was a prefect pace for me, coming from a small city. There are a lot of beautiful things about this city, many of which I have yet to experience. When I initially moved here I was dating someone, but it didn't work out, so I found myself for the most part alone in a city where I didn't know many people. Just about the time my relationship was ending, I met a couple of people who have since become friends and helped me through those rough periods. A few months after the ending of that relationship, I met someone quite special who has moved into my heart and captured it.

Presently I work in HIV-related Behavioral Science Research on a national study funded by the CDC. We're looking at the variety of factors putting Black Men who have Sex with Men at risk for for HIV. I am also a facilitator for Many Men Men Many Voices, a group level intervention for Black gay men. I've been lucky to have gotten a gig doing this intervention on a national level with some talented people that are committed, like me to improving the lives of Black Gay men. I also work part time as a mental health therapist in a outpatient mental health clinic in the Germantown section of the city. So all this and having a man keeps me quite busy.

Dayum, as I was reading this I realized that all I wrote so far was kind of bland and doesn't describe my personality at all. Well one thing that I think anyone who knows me would say is that I'm real and a down to earth person. I have a heart of gold and would help anyone out that I can if I consider them a friend. Being the people person that I am, I'm up for helping anyone, but I go that extra mile for friends and family. I love music and am always listening to something in my office, at home or in the car. The music I mostly listen to is Hip Hop ( I miss the old days) R&B, and house/dance music. My baby is getting me an iPod for Christmas, so I can't wait for that so I can take all my music on the go without having to carry all those cumbersome CD's. You can see my profile for some of my favorite artists. I enjoy concerts, good food, watching movies, hangin' with friends and having fun. Another thing that people who know me well would say is that I can be foolish and love to make people laugh. Laughter is so important in life, especially in these times when tragedy and disaster has almost become the status quo.

Well I'm looking forward to meeting new people throughout this experience and I hope that people check in on my Blog regularly. Peace for now.

Lee

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lee! This is so cool that you have started this up. It's a good idea and I would love to take part in it. We must hook up and do lunch.

Friday, November 04, 2005 8:56:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, lee. this is the 1st blog i've ever entered. what a wonderful introduction. i'm so proud of you!!! keep us in the loop. love ya, sekile

Friday, November 04, 2005 10:52:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sweetness. Good to "hear" from you. Glad your doing well. Peace - your DC boii

Friday, November 04, 2005 1:03:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leeeeeeeeeeeeee,

'Sup?!!!

I have been thinking about you and glad you are well.

I'll never forget our relentless attempt for a perfect world in spite of the haters, and the naysayers...I'm dang proud of ya, and I wish you ALL the success thatlife has for you...I'll holla atch in a minute...

Peace and love,

gee

Friday, November 04, 2005 4:57:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the hottest black man I have ever laid eyes on!!! Even better, you are bright and charming....

Saturday, November 05, 2005 6:38:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello My Man!
Long time no contact! And that is one fabulous picture of your fine ass! I miss you and we have a lot of catching up to do!
All my love- Angela

Saturday, November 05, 2005 10:50:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Baby,
This is your man Georgeo! Just wanted to let you know how proud I am of your blog. A note to all haters, this is my MAN so back the
#$%^&^% off. Love you baby, keep up the good work.

Monday, November 07, 2005 7:31:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lee,
I checked out the site and think that you have done a fanatstic job! Have you considered journalism? Your views need to be heard by a bigger audience, though the government may SHUT IT DOWN with you dipping into their pockets with the comments you made about the HIV home testing:) I will shsre this site with a few others.

Wisdom

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 9:19:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 2:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Unconquerable Soul said...

Welcome to the Blogworld! Man, I love your first post. I've been selected to go on the Many Men Many Voice Retreat in July. I'm so excited! Keep on Pushin! I'll be back!

Thursday, December 01, 2005 11:58:00 AM

 
Blogger Marz said...

I AM SO MAD THAT I JUST DISCOVERED ANOTHER PHILLY BLOGGER.

(hmm I'm slipping.LOL)


HEYY. WELCOME.


-Marz

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 7:11:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

�Qui�n dijo que

Sunday, January 22, 2006 11:17:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 1:18:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 7:03:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Nice site! Good resources here. I will bookmark!

Sunday, September 09, 2007 5:24:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see first time your site guys. I like you :)

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:12:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:13:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home